Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Why Not Me?

I am still in the running sucks mentality.
 
Yet, I am craving the activity.
 
I signed up for my first 5k in May. WTF?!
 
I think I have shin splints. They hurt like hell. My feet hurt too. Basically everything hurts right now.
 
So it made sense for me to get up this morning and head to the gym before work right?
 
While at the gym I was hurting pretty bad. I was on the tredmil trying to walk through the "hurt" (I would not classify it as pain) and it hurt so bad at the 3.0 pace - and that is freaking slow. However, I got myself out of that mindset and did 40 minutes at 3.0-3.2  on the tredmil. Not the best, but I did it. I was getting down on myself and Mama Laughlin's Dear Big Girl post was at the forefront of my thoughts. I was there. I was holding myself accountable. I was doing this for me. I got through the hurt. I felt good afterwards.
 
And now, here I am, sitting at my desk feeling good about today.
via 

button

5 comments:

  1. Girl, I struggle w/ shin splints too! I have found one thing that works for me...I got new shoes (they're mazzuno or something...I got them at Dicks and they're good for shin splints) and then on top of that I went to Wal-Mart and did the Dr. Scholls thing that you stand on and it tells you which inserts are right for how YOU stand...both of those together have been a miracle for me. I know every body is different, I have tried compression sleeves and those caused me more pain but they could work for you! Good luck! Also...ICE, ICE, ICE! Right after your workout, ice! And stretch...google stretches for shin splints!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say everything that Heather said above. R.I.C.E. rest, ice, compression, and elevation. My hubs has shin splints. He got the compression sleeves and wears them all day long. He also ices every night. Hope it gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What exactly are shin splints? I just started running and my shins have been killing me! More like a sore muscle when I try to run or do strenuous exercise. The shoes I have make me want to run, they are so comfortable and amazing to run in. Good for you for working through it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I soo needed to read that today, thank you! I have my first 5K coming up in May too and I just can't fathom how I'll be ready when running is such a struggle for me right now. I need to just keep going and push through... I don't want another month to go by without me losing weight, another 5K to happen without me, etc... I want this to happen and I need to stop putting it off!

    ReplyDelete